July 5, 2010

EERO AT CRANBROOK

Fans of the ultra-modern lines of the TWA airport will be familiar with designer, Eero Saarinen. Eero was celebrated at an exhibit at Cranbrook some years back- captured in this press release clip below. They are offering Saarinen house tours through October. Spy Vibe's look at Eero and other artist's impact on set design here. My family started the New York School of Interior Design back in 1916 and we grew up with all sorts of pieces that must have made an impression on me as a kid. I was not aware of Eero. He didn't loom large in my world of cowboys and secret agents. I don't remember the house being especially ornate. Rooms were airy, the furniture simple and functional. But when I got older and started to develop my own interest in design (thanks to spy movies!), I did have a neat moment of realization that I had grown up with a set of Eero's Tulip chairs! I guess those simple, modern forms rubbed off on me. The style has become a passion and an integral part of Spy Vibe. Where are they now, I wonder. I like to imagine they are in a cousin's swinging bachelor pad.



No comments:

Post a Comment