July 5, 2010

JAMES BOND AUDIO BOOK SALE

Sale alert! Spy Vibers might remember that there was a big wave of Ian Fleming re-releases back in January 2009 from Blackstone Audio, who re-packaged the Simon Vance recordings with those cool, retro book jackets by New York artist Richie Fahey. I've been a long-time fan of the audio book editions of the James Bond novels. I've spent many flights, train rides, and commutes behind the wheel with Vance's steady narration. I often return to the short story, "From a View to a Kill" (For Your Eyes Only), which begins with Fleming's incredibe description of an assasination from the back of a motorcycle. Vance's readings have given me a kind of "theater of the imagination", radio drama-like experience over the years that, in some cases, have created stronger mental images than the films. Browsing through my local Borders bookshop today, I found four of the audio books in the clearance rack for only $4.98 each. I picked up Octopussy, Live and Let Die, Moonraker, and The Spy Who Loved Me (read by Nadia May). Check your local shops if you are looking to add titles to your audio collection. Happy treasure hunting!


4 comments:

  1. I wish the price was the same down under - here they are around $50.

    But Simon Vance is very good. Slightly better than Robert Whitfield and Rufus Sewell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon Vance and Robert Whitfield are the same person. Robert Whitfield is a 'stage name' that Vance uses sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Agent David from Permission Kill sent this comment that blogger had trouble posting:

    "I wish the price was the same down under - here they are around $50.

    But Simon Vance is very good. Slightly better than Robert Whitfield and Rufus Sewell."

    David, if I find more I can send them to you :) Vance and Whitfield are one in the same. I gather he used that name for some of his recording work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed! Vance and Whitfield are one in the same, as noted in 2010 comment above.

    ReplyDelete