January 7, 2011

CHARLES ADDAMS & MYSTERY ADVENTURE CLASS

I started teaching a new class today that I created called Mystery Adventure. Students will be exploring the most famous mystery/adventure stories- from Alfred Hitchcock and The Shadow to Batman, Sherlock Holmes, and James Bond. They'll get to know the greatest detectives, secret agents, dark avengers, criminal masterminds, and the conventions of the genre by studying radio shows, cliffhanger serials, TV dramas/films, pulp fiction, and comics. I've chosen Richard Sala's graphic novel masterpiece, Chuckling Whatsit, as a main text/companion to Franju's Judex (1963). It's going to be a thrilling semester! Richard Sala reminded me that today is the birthday of the maestro of macabre fun, cartoonist Charles Addams. I encourage all Spy Vibers to enjoy something creepy and kooky.


No comments:

Post a Comment