February 9, 2011

THE 10TH VICTIM SOUNDTRACK

As many Spy Vibers know, my first real love for spy-style films began with the Elio Petri movie, The 10th Victim (1965). It's futuristic fashion, modern architecture, pop art-inspired interior designs, and performances by Marcello Mastroianni and Ursula Andress were absolutely captivating. As I described to a friend last night during a theatrical screening of The Ipcress File, I saw the stylish world of The 10th Victim as a youngster and it resonated and established a kind of aesthetic map. My pal, movie historian and artist, Steve Bissette likes to kid me that it was really the music that hooked me. He's right! The cheesy organ grooves and scat-style female vocalizations of Edda Dell'Orso were like Ulysses' siren song. The music was composed by Piero Piccioni, who created a wonderful blend of jazz, mystery-adventure thrills, and avant-garde elements. It remains one of my favorite scores, especially the main title, The Spiral Waltz. I have an original vinyl copy of the soundtrack, as well as the Easy Tempo 1998 CD release. A mint copy of Easy Tempo's 1998 2-disc vinyl, gatefold edition of the soundtrack sold today on eBay for $122. Outbid again on a 10th Victim item, but I congratulate my fellow fan out there who is going to enjoy hearing this treasure in warm fidelity. Here is The Spiral Waltz. For those who have not seen the film, Ursula Andress is dressed here in her tin-foil bikini (with gun-bra!). Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I wonder if those enchanting "cheesy organ grooves" were created on a Vox Continental - the most fashion-forward 1960's electronic organ with it's orange top-cover and reverse-color keys.

    JK

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vox Continental was such a cool-looking design. Love it ! Do you know of any players who are known for using it? It would be fun to feature it on Spy Vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first saw the Continental being played by Alan Price of The Animals on the immortal House of the Rising Sun. Also, during the Beatles 1964 Shea Stadium concert, John Lennon gave his quite a workout on I'm Down. Both videos are on YouTube.

    The "Connie" actually has its own Wikipedia entry! They have a great photo of the classic Crimson-Top model, and they list many of the groups who used the Continental, but they did neglect to mention Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs.

    I also recommend that you watch the Animals It's My Life video (B&W) - not only does it feature the Connie, it has a crazy hunting-lodge set with mounted trophies - only instead of animal heads, go-go dancers have their gyrating heads sticking out though holes in the wall!

    JK

    ReplyDelete