December 19, 2010

JOHN STEED & VAUXHALL

My thoughts of Space Camp last week reminded me of the conclusion to The Avengers TV show ("Bizarre"), a surprising final sequence with John Steed and Tara King trapped in a rocket as it blasts off toward the stars. What will happen to them? How will they get back to earth? The Tara King episodes were wonderfully playful, and this was a fun, over-the-top way to say farewell to a long-running program. You can see The Avengers streaming on Netflix. While I searched to find a clip, I came across these cool adverts that Patrick Macnee did for the Vauxhall auto line in the UK. I hadn't seen these before, and Vauxhall itself has never been on my radar. I guess a GM-owned line resembling Opel could never outpace Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Volvo for stylish television entertainment. I think Spy Vibers will enjoy seeing Macnee in "Steed" mode with nice footage of autos, helicopters, and his usual flare. Keep watch for a great quip, "I'll drive, George." Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Pat was at his super lean, gorgeous handsome The New Avengers Steed in those commercials. Thanks for finding them! Great way to start the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was psyched to uncover these. Pat was indeed in his prime- and always that sparkle and innuendo.

    ReplyDelete